Does Facebook Live freak you out? Yeah me too if I’m the one who is “Facebook live” – otherwise, I love them!! I watch my friends and I love just being a part of their “day”, but when it’s me. Oh no, girl I run for the hills so fast you would think I was a stealth ninja.
Fear is real
Fear is a tough emotion to tackle, it puts up a good fight, and will fight you to the death. Public speaking has always been something I shy away from because I have a real fear of being ridiculed for my accent or if I say something dumb – which is kinda frequent. When Facebook Live came into play, I said “no way”. I will not be partaking in that…ever! Never ever not even in a million years.
Now you see me eating crow pie, it tastes horrible 😉
ps- never heard that term before? From Wikipedia: Eating crow is an American colloquial idiom, meaning humiliation by admitting wrongness or having been proven wrong after taking a strong position. Crow is presumably foul-tasting in the same way that being proven wrong might be emotionally hard to swallow.
What Holds You Back
Fear holds us back from succeeding more than failure ever would. You’ve probably seen that quote on Pinterest a million times, just like I have. We can see that quote over and over, share it a bazillion times, and tell everyone it’s the truth — but in the end, are we still letting it rule us? I know for me, I often do. Fear takes strong hold on me and it wins every time.
Can You Win The Battle
If fear has such a strong hold on us so easily, then how can we win? Well, it’s not easy! It is possible though!! Consistency is my best tip. Do those scary things consistently, no matter how afraid you are or how knee deep in fear you may be – do it anyway. This is why you may have noticed so many Facebook Live and snap chat videos from me recently. The only way I can conquer this is to just #DoAllTheThings that scare me. Luckily or unfortunately for you — that means more videos coming.
Suck It Up Buttercup
That’s what I keep telling myself. I can’t beat my fear if I don’t try. No matter how scared, no matter how afraid, and no matter how terrified I may be. I’ve had to ask myself, “so what if my videos aren’t perfect or if people do make fun of me?”. People are going to say and do things like that anyway! I can’t stop them, you can’t stop them. It’s just life. It is what it is. So bring on the videos, because I’m not losing this battle.
How to fight back
Facebook Live videos are my big fish but I’ve compiled a quick list that helps me and I thought I’d share:
- Find alternatives that make it easier to tackle the “big fish” (prerecorded videos are mine)
- Find ways to make it fun (for me I’ve added in snapchat filters)
- Find friends/family to help do these videos with you (my husband & son are ready to hide my phone)
- Start with topics you know well (makeup and food are mine..mostly food)
- Start with times you know not many people will be online, this will keep you from getting overwhelmed if you see dozens of your friends jumping on to watch you at once
- If seeing the comments overwhelms you when doing the video, don’t answer them until you are finished ( I had to do this on my first few Facebook Live videos because I was actually scared of what the comments were that people had written)
- Don’t get caught up in perfection (the lighting, background, & atmosphere will never be 100% on point)
- Watch other Facebook Live videos of your friends (see how they interact with their audience)
- Be aware – sometimes the still shots of the video are just going to suck (laugh about it and move on)
Truthfully, those who love you don’t mind if you screw up and those who mind don’t love you.
Tell me what what fear holds you back from trying? I’d love to hear from you!
Catch more The Blog Bombshell training modules over here!